Are you tired of feeling like you’re stuck in a never-ending cycle of yo-yo dieting and weight gain? If so, you’re not alone. For many people, achieving and maintaining a healthy weight can be a lifelong struggle. But what if there was a way to break free from this cycle and achieve long-term weight loss and improved health? That’s where sleeve gastrectomy comes in. This surgical procedure has helped countless individuals overcome their struggles with obesity and achieve lasting weight loss. In this article, we’ll explore the ins and outs of sleeve gastrectomy, including its benefits, risks, and what you can expect before, during, and after the procedure.
Table of Contents
What is Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical weight loss procedure that involves removing a significant portion of the stomach to create a smaller, sleeve-shaped stomach. The remaining portion of the stomach is then closed up, leaving a smaller space for food.
This surgery can be an effective option for people who are severely obese and have struggled with losing weight through other means, such as diet and exercise. The smaller stomach size restricts the amount of food that can be consumed at one time, which helps patients feel full more quickly and reduces their overall caloric intake.
Patients who undergo sleeve gastrectomy typically experience significant weight loss in the months and years following the procedure. However, as with any weight loss method, maintaining the weight loss requires a commitment to a healthy lifestyle that includes regular exercise and a balanced diet.
In conclusion, sleeve gastrectomy is a weight loss surgery that involves removing a large portion of the stomach to create a smaller, sleeve-shaped stomach. It can be an effective option for people struggling with severe obesity, but it also comes with risks and requires a commitment to a healthy lifestyle for long-term success.
Sleeve Gastrectomy Before and After
See the difference between before and after the treatment. You can get these at our clinic. Book your appointment now to know more.
Why is Sleeve Gastrectomy used?
It is used due to the following reasons:
- Sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical procedure used to treat obesity.
- The procedure involves removing a large portion of the stomach, leaving behind a smaller, banana-shaped stomach.
- This reduces the amount of food that can be consumed at one time, leading to weight loss.
- Sleeve gastrectomy can be used as a standalone procedure for weight loss, or as the first step in a two-part weight loss surgery plan.
- It is typically recommended for patients with a BMI of 40 or higher, or a BMI of 35 or higher with at least one obesity-related health condition.
- Sleeve gastrectomy is a minimally invasive procedure that can be performed laparoscopically, which means that it requires only a few small incisions.
- It can lead to significant weight loss and improve overall health, especially for patients with obesity-related health conditions.
Who needs Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Sleeve gastrectomy is typically recommended for individuals who are obese and have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher. It can also be recommended for individuals with a BMI of 35 or higher who have at least one obesity-related health condition, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea.
This procedure can be a life-changing option for individuals who have struggled with traditional weight loss methods, and who are at risk for obesity-related health problems. However, it is important to discuss the risks and benefits of sleeve gastrectomy with a qualified healthcare provider to determine if it is the right option for your individual needs and medical history.
Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy
Sleeve gastrectomy can offer a number of benefits for individuals struggling with obesity and its related health conditions. Some of the main benefits of sleeve gastrectomy include:
- Significant weight loss: Sleeve gastrectomy can lead to significant weight loss, with many patients losing 50% or more of their excess weight within the first year after surgery.
- Improvement in obesity-related health conditions: Sleeve gastrectomy can improve or even resolve obesity-related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.
- Reduced appetite and food intake: Sleeve gastrectomy can reduce the size of the stomach, leading to a reduction in appetite and food intake. This can make it easier for you to stick to a healthy diet and lose weight.
- Minimally invasive procedure: Sleeve gastrectomy can be performed laparoscopically, which means that it requires only a few small incisions. This reduces the risk of complications and allows for a faster recovery time.
- Long-term weight loss maintenance: Studies have shown that sleeve gastrectomy can lead to long-term weight loss maintenance.
It is important to note that sleeve gastrectomy is not a quick fix or a cure for obesity. It requires a commitment to lifestyle changes, such as healthy eating and regular exercise, in order to achieve and maintain long-term weight loss success. However, for eligible patients, sleeve gastrectomy can be a life-changing procedure that leads to significant improvements in overall health and well-being.
The sleeve gastrectomy procedure involves the following steps:
The patient is given general anesthesia to ensure that they are comfortable and asleep during the procedure.
The surgeon makes several small incisions in the abdomen to allow access to the stomach.
Removal of part of the stomach
Using surgical instruments, the surgeon removes a large portion of the stomach, leaving behind a smaller, banana-shaped stomach.
Stapling or Suturing
The remaining portion of the stomach is closed using staples or sutures, creating a smaller stomach pouch.
Closure of Incisions
The incisions are closed using sutures or surgical glue.
The patient is taken to a recovery room and monitored closely for any complications
Sleeve gastrectomy can be performed using laparoscopic surgery, which involves using a camera and specialized tools to perform the surgery through small incisions in the abdomen. This approach is less invasive and can result in a faster recovery time than traditional open surgery.
It is important to note that the specific details of the procedure may vary depending on the individual patient’s needs and the surgeon’s approach. It is important to discuss the procedure with a qualified healthcare provider to fully understand the process and any potential risks or complications.
Like any surgical procedure, sleeve gastrectomy carries some risks and potential complications. Some of the risks associated with sleeve gastrectomy include:
- Bleeding: There is a risk of bleeding during or after the surgery.
- Infection: Any surgical procedure carries a risk of infection.
- Blood clots: Blood clots can form in the legs and travel to the lungs, which can be life-threatening.
- Leak: There is a risk of a leak from the staple line, which can lead to infection or other complications.
- Stomach obstruction: The small stomach pouch can become obstructed, making it difficult to eat or drink.
- Nutrient deficiencies: Sleeve gastrectomy can lead to nutrient deficiencies, particularly if patients do not follow a recommended vitamin and mineral supplement regimen.
- Weight regain: While sleeve gastrectomy can lead to significant weight loss, there is a risk of weight regain if patients do not follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
It’s important to note that these risks are relatively rare and that sleeve gastrectomy is a safe and effective weight loss surgery option for eligible patients. However, it’s important to discuss the risks and potential complications with a qualified healthcare provider before undergoing the procedure.
Ways to minimize the risks
Here are a few ways to reduce the risk of complications during and after sleeve gastrectomy:
- Choose an experienced surgeon: Choose a surgeon who has experience performing sleeve gastrectomy procedures and a good track record of successful outcomes.
- Follow pre-operative instructions: Follow all pre-operative instructions carefully to prepare for the procedure, including dietary guidelines, exercise recommendations, and medication instructions.
- Follow post-operative instructions: Follow all post-operative instructions, including dietary recommendations, exercise guidelines, and medication instructions, to reduce the risk of complications.
- Take recommended supplements: Take all recommended vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent nutrient deficiencies.
- Attend follow-up appointments: Attend all scheduled follow-up appointments to monitor your progress and identify any potential complications early on.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Adopt healthy habits, including a nutritious diet and regular exercise, to support weight loss and reduce the risk of weight regain.
By following these steps and working closely with your healthcare provider, you can reduce the risk of complications and ensure a successful sleeve gastrectomy outcome.
The recovery time for sleeve gastrectomy surgery can vary from person to person, but typically patients can expect to spend one to two nights in the hospital after the procedure. Most patients are able to return to work and resume normal activities within two to four weeks after surgery. However, it’s important to follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions carefully to ensure a smooth recovery and minimize the risk of complications.
Here are some important points to keep in mind for aftercare following sleeve gastrectomy:
- Follow a healthy diet: Your healthcare provider will provide you with specific dietary guidelines to follow after surgery. It’s important to follow these guidelines carefully to ensure proper healing and weight loss.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise can help promote weight loss and overall health. Discuss with your healthcare provider when it’s safe to resume physical activity after surgery and develop an exercise plan that works for you.
- Attend follow-up appointments: Attend all scheduled follow-up appointments with your healthcare provider to monitor your progress and identify any potential complications early on.
- Take recommended supplements: Take all recommended vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent nutrient deficiencies.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water and other fluids to stay hydrated and promote healing.
Cost of Sleeve Gastrectomy
The cost of sleeve gastrectomy treatment in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia can vary depending on several factors, including the specific hospital or clinic where the procedure is performed, the surgeon’s experience, and any additional services or treatments required. The cost of sleeve gastrectomy in Riyadh is 35,000SAR to 40,000SAR (with numbers of doctor and dietitian visit, IV Drip session)
Sleeve GastrectomyStarting From
Why Choose Us?
If you’re considering sleeve gastrectomy surgery, Enfield Royal Clinic is a great choice for several reasons:
- Experienced surgeons.
- Personalized care.
- Comprehensive support.
- State-of-the-art facilities.
- Convenient location.
Don’t let excess weight hold you back from living your best life. Book an appointment with Enfield Royal Clinic today and take the first step towards achieving long-term weight loss
The results of rhinoplasty are typically permanent, although the exact longevity of the results can vary depending on a number of factors such as age, skin type, and the extent of the surgery. In general, rhinoplasYes, following a healthy diet is important after sleeve gastrectomy surgery to ensure proper healing and promote weight loss. Your healthcare provider will provide specific dietary guidelines to follow after surgery.
Yes, it is common for patients to need to take vitamin and mineral supplements after sleeve gastrectomy to prevent nutrient deficiencies.
Mini Gastric Bypass
Little gastric one-anastomosis gastric bypass, often known as bypass, is a surgical procedure used to treat obesity. By consuming less food, a person feels fuller sooner.Enfield Royal Saudia offers mini gastric bypass treatment and..
Are you tired of struggling with stubborn pockets of fat despite a healthy diet and exercise routine? Are you ready to take control of your body and achieve the shape you’ve always wanted? If so, liposuction may be the solution you’vve been....